South Asian Journal of Cancer

ORIGINAL ARTICLE: BREAST CANCER
Year
: 2019  |  Volume : 8  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 137--139

Use of animation video in surgical decision-making for treatment of early breast cancer in Indian women


Sapana Bothra1, Sabaretnam Mayilvaganan1, Prabhaker Mishra2, Anjali Mishra1, Amit Agarwal1, Gaurav Agarwal1 
1 Department of Endocrine Surgery, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
2 Department of Biostatistics, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Sabaretnam Mayilvaganan
Department of Endocrine Surgery, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
India

Introduction: Surgical decision-making in early breast cancer is difficult for the patient and also for the treating clinician, especially when the patient is not completely aware of the available options. Adjuncts such as animation video with case scenarios can be helpful in this regard. We used an animation video to help in decision-making and evaluated the effect of such adjunct in Indian women with early breast cancer. Materials and Methods: An animation video of running time of 4 min and 11 s was shown to forty patients with early breast cancer, who filled in a patient satisfaction multimedia questionnaire at the end of the animation. Results: Seventeen (42.5%) patients underwent breast-conserving surgery (BCS) while the rest 23 (57.5%) patients underwent the mastectomy. All forty patients were satisfied with the animation video. The mean score of the utility of the video to improve understanding of the disorder, better organization of treatment, stimulated interest in the relations, and saved unnecessary discussion was 88.50, 88.50,88.3, and 90.3, respectively. Age and literacy status did not significantly affect the scores. Discussion: All the patients found the video useful and most patients made the decision on the first attempt. Patients' perspective about BCS is influenced by the fear of recurrence, fear of multiple surgeries, complications, and also the counseling provided by the surgeon. Conclusion: In this situation, such animation videos provide an unbiased view on the operative procedure and help in decision-making.


How to cite this article:
Bothra S, Mayilvaganan S, Mishra P, Mishra A, Agarwal A, Agarwal G. Use of animation video in surgical decision-making for treatment of early breast cancer in Indian women.South Asian J Cancer 2019;8:137-139


How to cite this URL:
Bothra S, Mayilvaganan S, Mishra P, Mishra A, Agarwal A, Agarwal G. Use of animation video in surgical decision-making for treatment of early breast cancer in Indian women. South Asian J Cancer [serial online] 2019 [cited 2019 Aug 17 ];8:137-139
Available from: http://journal.sajc.org/article.asp?issn=2278-330X;year=2019;volume=8;issue=3;spage=137;epage=139;aulast=Bothra;type=0